On the Sunday of the May bank holiday each year (30th April 2017), the Willow Wheelers organise a 100 Mile Charity Cycle, the proceeds of which are for the Willow Wheelers’ charitable causes. All funds raised go directly to the projects supported by the Willow Wheelers.
This cycle is a great fun, sociable event that is thoroughly enjoyed by all participants!
The event is co-ordinated by the Committee with the assistance of many former and current Club members, for which we are very grateful. Organizers check the route, liaise with the Gardaí, marshal the peloton, provide catering at the stops, etc. – all of which makes for a great day for participants. Offers of assistance for 100 mile cycles will all be gratefully received, simply contact any member of the Committee.
In order to participate, collect your sponsorship cards from Christy McDaid or from Willow Park Junior School, Willow Park First Year and Blackrock College. Complete the 100 Mile Charity Cycle Registration Form and bring it to the event to complete registration. You are welcome to do as much or as little of the full cycle as you wish.
The 100 Mile Cycle on Sunday 5th May 2016 Strava Route Map is at the following link: https://www.strava.com/activities/562454909
The exact route varies over the years, but typically, the route and shape of the day is as follows:
- 07:30 Mass in Blackrock College, followed by tea and biscuits in the teachers’ dining room
- 08:45 Departure from Blackrock College
- 09:30 Pheonix Park (11km)
- 11:30 Trim (55km)
- 13:30 Ballivor (68km)
- 14:30 Kinnegad (Lunch) (84km) – Depart at 15:15
- 16:30 Enfield (105km)
- 17:30 Maynooth (joined by former club members) (120km)
- 18:30 Chapelizod (joined by fifth form members) (145km)
- 19:30 Arrive back to Blackrock College (160km)