The Willow Wheelers Cycling Club was established in 1989 by the Chairman, Christy McDaid, and continues to enjoy an active membership of students, parents and other associated adult members. The Willow Wheelers however is much more than just a cycling club, it is a community. Club membership comprises of students from Willow Park Junior School, Willow Park First Year and Blackrock College, as well as parents, former students, staff and many currently active and former members who remain associated with the Club who are part of the greater Willow Park and Blackrock College community..
During the school academic year, the Club meets at Willow Park School for a cycle each Sunday at 10am. Year groups usually cycle 30km to 90km, to include the mandatory coffee and chat stop. See some of our cycling routes and get a flavour of our cycling activities by taking a look at our photo gallery or Club facebook page.
Typically, each year cycles together as a group. Current and former adult members form additional cycling groups, including the enigmatic Willow Wheelerettes!
The Willow Wheelers’ Committee comprises: Christy McDaid (Chairman), Aine O’Donoghue (Secretary), Denis Diggin (Treasurer), John Beatty (Membership), Ken Casey, Caroline Caslin, Marcie Dowdall, Keith Mangan, Tony McCluskey, Pat Nolan, Brian O’Neill (Child Protection Officer) and Steve Facer (Membership).
Eligibility criteria for membership of the Willow Wheelers is as follows:
- A current pupil of Willow Park Junior School (5th form and above), Willow Park First Year and Blackrock College.
- A parent of a current Willow Park or Blackrock College student;
- A parent of a past pupil of Blackrock College;
- A past pupil of Blackrock College;
- A sibling of a current pupil of Willow Park or Blackrock College
- A sibling of a past pupil of Blackrock College;
- A spouse of a past pupil of Blackrock College;
- A Member of Willow Park and Blackrock College Staff and
- A member of the Blackrock College religious community.